Forum der Vereinigung der Sternfreunde

Forum of the German Amateur Astronomy Association
Aktuelle Zeit: 24. Oktober 2021, 21:33:06 PM

Alle Zeiten sind UTC+02:00

Autor Nachricht
BeitragVerfasst: 26. April 2021, 01:40:58 AM 
Dauernutzer

Hello,

One finds almost any topic on the German Amateur Astronomy Association site except for meteor showers. I am sure there is a history behind that so here is a short 10 second image of beautiful deep sky objects in the Milky Way Galaxy which just happens to show a Lyrid Meteor being vaporized as it enters the Earth's atmosphere at 110,00 miles per hour over Tucson, Arizona at 03:59 am MST on the morning of April 22, 2021.

The image sky field of view is 150 degrees x 120 degrees. Saturn was about 5 degrees to the left of the meteor. Tucson sky glow appears to the right of the image. The brown areas on the left of the image are clouds. The Milky Way stretches across the image from north to south. The ghost appearance to the left of the image is actually my neighbor's lit flag pole with the flag waving in the wind.

The meteor trail before it vaporized was about 10 degrees long. I am not sure what the magnitude of the meteor was as it vaporized. The inset tries to show the meteor a little better.

Dateianhänge:
Lyrid_20210422_1059_molason.jpg
Lyrid_20210422_1059_molason.jpg [ 328.11 KiB | 4268 mal betrachtet ]

BeitragVerfasst: 26. April 2021, 21:27:28 PM 
Dauernutzer

Zitat:
Hello,
One finds almost any topic on the German Amateur Astronomy Association site except for meteor showers. I am sure there is a history behind that so here is a short 10 second image of beautiful deep sky objects in the Milky Way Galaxy which just happens to show a Lyrid Meteor being vaporized as it enters the Earth's atmosphere at 110,00 miles per hour over Tucson, Arizona at 03:59 am MST on the morning of April 22, 2021.
The image sky field of view is 150 degrees x 120 degrees. Saturn was about 5 degrees to the left of the meteor. Tucson sky glow appears to the right of the image. The brown areas on the left of the image are clouds. The Milky Way stretches across the image from north to south. The ghost appearance to the left of the image is actually my neighbor's lit flag pole with the flag waving in the wind.
The meteor trail before it vaporized was about 10 degrees long. I am not sure what the magnitude of the meteor was as it vaporized. The inset tries to show the meteor a little better.
Thanks for the show.
Perspectives from the "other" side :-)
In Austria / Vienna no exciting Lyrid season - All very weak.
However 2 interesting and registered signals were present.
There one is pleased about such photographs.

Many greetings
Rudolf

Visueller Beobachter/DeepSky, Sonne, Mond
Meteorscatter mit SDRPlay1 +1a / HDSDR / SpecLab
Beim Beobachten von einzigartigen Deep-Sky-Objekten müssen die Tränen der Ergriffenheit zum Ohr hin abfließen.

BeitragVerfasst: 26. April 2021, 22:54:33 PM 
Dauernutzer

Hello Rudolf,

Nice to hear from you. The Lyrid Meteor Shower north of Tucson, Arizona also was very weak. Collected 2000 ten second images from 11pm to 5am April 21-22 and only 6 images had easily visible meteors. A couple dozen other faint meteors were detected in the images. Visually spent about an hour outside and did not see any. A friend also recorded images all night and his results were even worse, his field of view was smaller than mine, but recorded fainter stars and thus would have recorded fainter meteors if they were there. Of course, as you are well aware, the Moon probably masked a lot of the fainter meteors.

Cheers, Mike

BeitragVerfasst: 27. April 2021, 10:29:33 AM 
Dauernutzer

Hello.
In contrast to 2020, the Lyrids were really very weak. Also the station "Meteorscan / Meteor Detection and Radio Astronomy" (https://meteorscan.com/meteor-live.html) confirmed this to me.
Likewise, since 09.04.2021, there is a noticeable decrease in the registered signals when detected by Forward Meteorscatter. I use the signal from France/Graves for this purpose.
However, it is also to be noted that now is a weak time which should become better with end of May / beginning of June.
With a visual observation I would have to move very far away from Vienna, however because of Corona and the Ausgehe prohibition (Lock Down) it was and is therefore also not possible.
I often look at the American Meteor Society (https://www.amsmeteors.org/), and some photos and videos are fantastic.
The next Class I streams would be with 05.05 - ETA, 30.07 - SDA and of course a highlight on 12.08 - PER.
Class II flows 10.05 - ELY, 30.06 - CAP etc.

Hope also soon here again from them a few info / photos to see or read.
Best regards from Austria/Vienna
Rudolf

Visueller Beobachter/DeepSky, Sonne, Mond
Meteorscatter mit SDRPlay1 +1a / HDSDR / SpecLab
Beim Beobachten von einzigartigen Deep-Sky-Objekten müssen die Tränen der Ergriffenheit zum Ohr hin abfließen.

Alle Zeiten sind UTC+02:00